2020 Joint WCERTE and ASEE PNW Section Conference
The organizing committee for the 2020 Join PNW ASEE / WCERTE Meeting is comprised of a group of 13 professors from 10 different institutions of higher education in our region. After numerous thoughtful conversations, we have collectively agreed that out of an abundance of caution, we will not be able to hold our meeting at its scheduled time and in its originally planned format. Please do not continue to register or book travel for the meeting at this time.
The organizing committee is evaluating a variety of options to minimize the financial burden to the section, while maximize value to our members. We will report plans for rescheduling the meeting as soon as is practically possible.
We are very sorry about any logistical challenges that this may have caused you along the way, and we are genuinely disappointed that we will not be getting together next month in-person.
On the plus side, this will give us all a bit of additional “found time” to redesign our Spring classes for distance learning 🙂 We wish you all the very best of luck!
David S. Hurwitz
Chair, Pacific Northwest Section of the American Society of Engineering Education
Associate Professor, Oregon State University
Chair, Washington Council for Engineering and Related Technical Education
Professor, Whatcom Community College
Supporting Student Success by Strengthening our Educational Communities
April 8 – April 10, 2020
The 2020 PNW Section Conference will take place at Gonzaga University in heart of Spokane, WA on April 8-10, 2020. This will be a joint meeting with WCERTE (the Washington Council of Engineering and Related Technical Education).
- 2020 PNW Section Call for Papers
- 2020 PNW Section Conference Author’s Kit
- Conference Registration
- Conference Hotel
At this time, Spokane County has no reported cases of COVID-19 (https://srhd.org/). The planning for the conference is moving forward but we are monitoring the situation closely. In the event that the health situation changes, we will move the conference to an online meeting platform (likely Zoom). For an in-person meeting we are following the guidance provided by ASEE including providing hand sanitizer stations and instituting a “no handshake” rule (https://www.asee.org/documents/publications/Cornovirus-Announcement.pdf)
Wednesday Evening Reception
- 5:00 – 7:00 PM: Registration at Centennial Hotel
- 7:30 – 9:30 PM: Reception at Jundt Art Museum – Gonzaga Campus, 200 E Desmet Avenue, Spokane
Thursday Events (All meals and Sessions at Centennial Hotel, 303 W North River Drive, Spokane)
- 7:30 – 8:00 AM: Registration
- 8:00 AM – 4:30 PM: Conference Activities*
- 6:00 – 8:00 PM: Dinner (more details soon)
Friday Events (Paccar Engineering Center, Gonzaga Campus)
- 8:00 AM – 1:00 PM: Conference Activities*
- 1:15 – 3:00 PM: Tour of University District on electric scooters (Avista Net-Zero Development including Cross-Laminated Timber (CLT) building and district heating and cooling and the University District Gateway Bridge). Other transportation options can be arranged for those not interested in traveling by scooter.
*As a joint meeting, the conference activities include sessions and workshops for ASEE-PNW and WCERTE including some joint round table events
- $150 Registration fee (increases to $200 after March 13th)
- $75 Student registration fee
- $40 Thursday night (4/9) conference dinner. (This is a separate ticketed event so be sure to check the box during the registration process).
- Wednesday night (4/8) welcome reception is included.
- Registration Link: [Click Here]
Distances and Estimated Walking Times
- Centennial Trail Hotel and Engineering Center – 0.9 miles, 20 minutes
- Centennial Trail Hotel and Jundt Museum – 0.6 miles, 12 minutes
- Car rental at airport
- Hotel shuttle and loaner bicycles available upon request
- Lime bikeshare and electric scooters (back March 1st after break for winter season)
- Spokane Transit (https://www.spokanetransit.com/routes-schedules/routes)
- Walking path between hotel and other venues is completely separated from carsand is grade separated at road crossings
Hotel Conference Reservations
ASEE-PNW/WCERTE Conference Hotel is the Centennial Trail at 303 W North River Drive, Spokane. (Many may know it as the Red Lion RL Hotel but it was purchased by the Davenport Chain and was recently renovated). Rooms must be reserved by Friday, March 13th to secure group rate.Conference group Rate is $139.00 per night. Group rate rooms can be booked two ways:
- Call the Centennial at 509.326.8000 and provide them with this group code 2004ASEE.
- Click on this booking link and it will take you to the hotel website where rooms can booked directly. [Booking Link]
- Early check-in/Late check-out based on availability
- Upgrade to next room category based on availability
- Complimentary wi-fi throughout Hotel
- Free Fitness Center access
- Complimentary Event Parking
- Starbucks coffee/espresso/housemade pastries
- Centennial Restaurant (Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner 6 AM – Close)
- Happy Hour (M-F 3-6 PM)
- Meeting Room and Catering Services
- Bike Rental
- Outdoor pool (seasonal)
- Riverfront (100 acre city park across the foot-bridge)
- Centennial Trail (steps from your door)
- River Park Square (Apple, Nordstrom, Nike Factory Outlet, Urban Outfitters)
- Mobius Science Center
- Museum of Arts & Culture (MAC)
- Cork District (Regional wine tasting rooms /wineries)
- Ale Trail (Northwest Craft beer tasting rooms/breweries)